MGRHS building committee seeks public input Wed/Thurs. for "green" building; dinner included!
PRINT REMINDER FLYER
“Green building” encompasses a wide variety of factors and “the Committee wants to tap the talent and creativity of community members,” according to Building Committee Chair Mark Schiek. The building project charrette meetings on Wed., July 22 and Thurs., July 23 will be facilitated by members of the architectural design team of Design Partnership of Cambridge.
- Those in attendance on the 22nd will work in groups to brainstorm and vision design strategies that will contribute to building and site sustainability and efficiency. Discussion will focus on three broad topic areas: site/water strategies, indoor air quality, and passive/active energy systems.
- The session on the 23rd will focus on refining and prioritizing the ideas generated in the first meeting.
Because organizers of the public meetings are going to provide a light dinner and refreshments, they are asking that likely attendees email Wendy Penner (email@example.com) to help get a count. Penner heads a "sustainability work group" of the larger committee. Penner is a former staff member and consultant to the Center for EcoTechnology. According to Penner “the Charrette will guide foundational decisions regarding which aspects of sustainability will get the greatest priority.”
Those who cannot attend one of the Charrettes are welcome to send their contributions and questions to Penner at firstname.lastname@example.org The Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA), structures the process to ensure that schools meet a high standard for sustainability. The MSBA offers a higher level of reimbursement to projects that meet the LEED Silver standard. In some cases communities have found it worthwhile to exceed that standard.
On August 6, the Building Committee is expected to submit one of the options for development into a full schematic design and cost estimate. These documents are due to the MSBA in December. “We need public input in this early design phase to insure a successful project,” noted Building Committee Vice-Chair Paula Consolini.
- July 22 4:30-8:30PM: Idea Generation Charrette, MG Meeting Room July 23 1-4PM: Prioritizing Charrette, MG Meeting Room
- July 23 5:30PM: School Building Committee Meeting, MG Meeting Room
- July 30 5:30PM: School Building Committee to vote final building design selection, MG Meeting Room